Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Duran Duran at the Mayan Theatre in Los Angeles - 3/23/2011

I posted this review (with pictures) at my Duran Duran blog.  However, since I've been sharing my Duran Duran love on this blog a little bit - I'll post this here, as well.

In case you haven't heard, Duran Duran did a show with David Lynch last night. It was for the second season of American Express' Unstaged. It was so very incredible. I honestly felt like I was witnessing something historic. The Mayan theatre is gorgeous and very intimate. It was astonishing to think that the same show I was watching was being transmitted world wide via the internet and YouTube. Considering they were doing such a thing, thi could easily have become a Greatest Hits sort of show. Instead, Duran Duran focused on performing their new material from their thirtennth studio album All You Need Is Now. It's a phenomenal album and I, for one, am quite happy that they played so much of the new stuff. Of course, there were the requisite hits but they were crowd pleasers, as always.

In addition to the amazing set list, they had great guest appearances by Mark Ronson (the producer of AYNIN), Kelis (who appears on the albums song The Man Who Stole a Leopard), Gerard Way (My Chemical Romance) and Beth Ditto (The Gossip). It was just an amazing show with fantastic guests. I feel very honored to have been able to see the show live. And believe me, I will continue to relive the excitement via YouTube.

Now, the full set list:
All You Need Is Now (preceded by a gorgeous string intro
Being Followed
Planet Earth (with Gerard Way)
Friends of Mine
Notorious (with Beth Ditto)
Blame the Machines
Hungry Like the Wolf
Safe (in the Heat of the Moment)
Leave a Light On
Ordinary World
The Man Who Stole a Leopard (with Kelis)
Girl Panic
Careless Memories
(Reach Up for the) Sunrise
Rio


ENCORE
Come Undone
A View to a Kill (preceded by a beautiful string rendition and Simon singing a ca pella)
Girls on Film

3 comments:

  1. Very cool!!! Sounds like a great - and historic as you said! - show. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You lucky girl! I've always loved Duran Duran...sounds like you had a great time. I'm going to have to check out the new CD too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The show was truly amazing! Michelle, the new album (All You Need is Now) is fantastic! I can not stop listening to it!

    When Duran Duran comes through again this summer (I think that's the plan) my kids want to go see their show - so it'll be a family event. I love it!

    ReplyDelete