Pages

Monday, August 16, 2010

Writing Goals

My friend Julia did a post (checkout Freelance Writer Blog in my sidebar for her amazing blog) about her blogging goals. It got me to thinking about my own goals as a writer. Obviously, I want to be published. I have no shame about admitting that to anyone. I have a book that is complete and I am in the process of shopping it around. I have two other books near completion that I will start the query process for in the coming months. The thing is, I think I've been a little laid back in the way that I have approached my quest to becoming published. I'll send out a few queries at a time and wait until I hear something about them (all no so far) before sending a few more. Then I wait a bit of time and send a few more. As I said, laid back. Maybe it's more along the lines of me being lazy about the query process because honestly, I don't like that part as well as I like the writing. I LOVE the writing and procrastinate the query. However, I know procrastinating isn't going to get me anywhere. At all. So, here are my goals:

1. Continue writing every day.
2. Send out at least three queries per week.
3. Join or create a writer's group. (This scares me so much but I think it will be very beneficial).
4. Enter a writing contest.
5. Remember that it is perfectly all right to do what I love and love what I do. This is easily given advice but more difficult to take sometimes.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the mention! I'm glad I got you thinking about your goals :) I hear you about joining a writers group being scary, I would be super nervous but I'm sure it will be good for you, just take that first step!

    ReplyDelete