Pages

Monday, August 30, 2010

Nonfiction In Practice

Musing Monday's is hosted by MizB at Should Be Reading! This week’s question:
"How often do you actually put into practice what you learn from reading nonfiction books (if you read nonfiction, that is)?"
I read nonfiction in phases.  When I was in University I read it a lot more than I do now - and not just textbooks.  I went through a major self-help phase.  I can't think of anything particular at the moment but I know there are some things that I put into practice.  I think you have to decide what works best in your own life.  Just because someone who is a supposed authority writes a book on a subject - doesn't mean it's what's necessarily going to work in your life. 

Does anyone remember the John Gray books, about men and Mars and Women and Venus? Sorry, I don't remember the exact titles.  I know I read one (maybe two) while at University and had to laugh at a lot of it.  Yes, some of it made sense but a lot of it was just funny to me.  I also remember thinking a fair amount of it seemed like common sense to me.  For example, if my husband has a bad day or we're having a disagreemnet, it seems logical to me to let him have some space and quiet time.  I remember the book saying something about men needing to go in their cave.  Well guess what? I need to go off alone sometimes, too.  Am I going to my cave? LOL I really have nothing against these books.  I just think that with nonfiction, you read the book and apply common sense.  Then I figure out what works best for my family and I.

2 comments:

  1. I don't read self help, but as to non-fiction in general, I don't agree with the idea that it has to be in some way useful. As I discuss in my own answer..
    http://caitesdayatthebeach.blogspot.com/2010/08/musing-mondayknowledge-is-its-own.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point. Not all information helps all people. Just because one person finds a great deal of use in applying concepts from a self-help or other nonfiction book doesn't mean that same information will be able to help another person in their particular situation.

    Here's my answer: http://parchmentgirl.com/2010/08/30/musing-mondays-no-two/

    ReplyDelete