Pages

Monday, August 23, 2010

Guilt Free Reader

Recently, I have seen several posts on different blogs and message boards about guilty pleasures in reading. I don't mean to sound high and mighty but this always makes me (figuratively) scratch my head. Do people really feel guilty over enjoying certain genres or authors? I honestly can not remember ever feeling guilty or embarrassed over my reading material. Well, there have been a couple of times the cover art has been a little embarrassing but I'll still read the book if I'm interested in the story inside. LOL

For example, I like romance novels. Does this mean that I like every romance author or romance book ever written? Of course not but I do like the genre. I know so many people that do like romance but are so embarrassed to admit it. WHY? Not every book can be great literature. However, I think there is plenty of reading material for everyone to find what they enjoy. I also think it's perfectly all right to enjoy great literature as well as brain candy. And every person's definition of the two is going to be different. I love John Steinbeck and Nora Roberts. Opposite ends of the spectrum for me but both utterly enjoyable.

I have to wonder what makes people feel embarrassed about enjoying certain genres or authors. Is it society? Family? Religion? Something else all together? I'd love to know.

1 comment:

  1. No guilty pleasures here. I read what I like without any apologies :)

    ReplyDelete