Pages

Saturday, August 28, 2010

A Bit of Writer's Block

I'm having the dreaded writer's block.  This happens to me a couple of times per year.  The thing is - I know the tricks for getting past it but they just are not working for me right now.  I think part of the issue for me at this time is that I'm at a critical point in the novel I've been working on - and it simply is not reading as well as I want it to.  I only have about ten percent of this book to complete but it's an important part of the story.  I don't know, maybe I'm putting too much pressure on myself to get it perfect.  And yet, I want it to be perfect.  Imagine that.

I've tried putting the book aside and writing something else.  While I did get a lot done on some other writing - I just feel guilty that this book is so close to being complete but I can't get it there.  It's actually really frustrating.  Especially as I have a sequel in mind for it already.  My first sequel at that.

Maybe this is another of those situations where I need to silence the internal editor and just write whatever comes out of me.  Finish the story, put it on paper and then revisit it in a couple of weeks for the editing.  I just want to get the darn thing done.  I'm really hoping that just complaining (yes, I know that's what I'm doing lol) will get through the writer's block and allow me to finally finish the darn novel/

2 comments:

  1. This is a tough week to being doing anything like that Sheery, with kids going back to school and all the routine changes about to happen. I'm having a hard time keeping my thoughts straight now but hope that in a week or two things will settle down. Hoping the best for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I hope the best for you, Julia! Yes, this is a crazy time right now. I'm just going to relax and not stress about the writing. I want to enjoy this time and ease into the school year routine as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete