Also known as, projects I want/need to finish before NaNoWriMo begins. In no particular order, my to-do list is as follows:
1. Finish last year's NaNovel. This novel has been driving me crazy in recent months. I want to finish it before this year's adventure begins. However, I also need to finish it because my novel for 2010 is loosely tied to the 2009 one. I won NaNo last year with 53,700 words and then barely touched the book for months. It was weird to me but I was just burned out on the story, I guess. Then, during the summer, I was writing it again and then hit another wall. I only have about ten percent of the story left to tell. I even know what is going to happen in the book. And yet, every time I sit down to finish the darn thing - nothing comes out the way I want it to. It's very frustrating and I know I'm being whiny about it. Sigh.
2. Submit to Penguin U.K. I learned about this from my friend Julia at Find Your Next Good Read. Penguin is accepting unsolicited work through October 31st. I have a non-NaNo manuscript that I have been shopping around to submit here. I just have to write the query letter and submit. I'll be doing that this week.
3. This Saturday is Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon. I am participating in this and very excited about doing so. I am also hosting a mini-challenge for the read-a-thon between 4 and 6 p.m Pacific time. So I also need to prepare my challenge. I should say finish preparing it. My husband and our oldest daughter helped me get it started on Sunday. Thank goodness for a wonderful, understanding family.
4. Do a plot line and possibly a character analysis for the new NaNovel.
5. If I find time amongst all of this and the daily family responsibilities - I'm going to enter a short story contest.
I wonder if I'm a little crazy. Actually, I'm pretty sure I am but that;s just part of being a creative writer. At least that's what I'm telling myself and my family and friends. I wouldn't have it any other way, though.