Pages

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Nerves Over Submission Process

As an author, there is nothing more daunting to me than the submission of my work.  That sounds crazy, right? I write all these stories and novels and I talk/write about my hopes for getting them published.  And yet, actually submitting my work makes me very queasy - to the point that I procrastinate it to the extreme.  Case in point: My friend Julia, from the Freelance Writer Blog told me that Penguin UK was accepting unsolicited submissions for a three month period of time.  That is a huge deal in the publishing world.  And if you want to get in on this, you still can - through Sunday.  When did I send in my submission? About two hours ago.  Like I said, I pro-cras-tin-ate! It's awful and I really need to get over my nervousness about submitting my work.

I find myself thinking about the fact that I spent months writing, editing and perfecting my novel.  Then I'm supposed to describe pages and pages worth of a story in a few sentences.  Oh, and let's not forget that I'm asking someone to basically say yes or no to helping me take my dream to the next step.  So far, all I've gotten is no but I'm sure that I'll finally get a yes. 

Obviously, I haven't let my nerves over the process entirely rule me.  I DO query and submit.  It's just really hard.  I can't possibly be the only author who goes through this cycle.  I refuse to let it hold me back but felt the need to whine, er, I mean, blog about it today.  LOL

Thanks for reading and now back to regualr events for the day.

3 comments:

  1. You did it, I'm so excited for you! Procrastinating and feeling queasy aside, you didn't let it overwhelm you and you did it! I'm so proud of you my friend, whatever the outcome! Keep putting one foot in front of the other :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julia - it means a lot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I didn't know about this, how lucky that I've just read your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete