Pages

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

The Disney Channel was playing 'The Sorcerer's Stone' and 'The Chamber of Secrets' tonight.  My kids have seen bits and pieces of these two movies.  They know the movies are based on books and my oldest is full of questions.  Some of the questions I will answer and some I will not because I just don't think she's ready to know all about the Harry Potter books and movies.  Not that I think there's anything wrong with them; in fact, the books are among my favorites.  I just think some of the details are a little scary for kids.

Anyway, when she was asking questions tonight I thought about the fact that 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows' (part 1) is coming out in theatres soon.  November 19th, to be exact.  I freely admit that I always anticipate the movie releases.  While I am definitely looking forward to this one, it is a little bittersweet because it's the last movie.  At least they did it in two parts, though.  I don't think the movie would have done the book justice if they'd shoved it into one movie. 

On the topic of the book - I've decided that I am going to re-read it before I see the movie.  I know this shouldn't be a big deal but for me it is as I don't usually re-read right before seeing one of the HP movies.  I like to let the movie stand on its own - without the book fresh in my mind.  The reason I'm going to alter my habit for this first part of the seventh movie is because I've only read the book once; right when it was first released.  While I know that I loved the book - I was really sad reading it because it was the last one.  Yes, I am very emotional about books and I was/am really attached to the Harry Potter series.  I felt like I was saying goodbye to people I knew all through the Deathly Hallows.  I want to re-read it without that feeling of sadness over it being the last book.  So, over the next few weeks, I'm going to read the Half-Blood Prince and the Deathly Hallows.  The sixth book is my favorite in the series and I think that it is very tightly attached to the seventh book - moreso than the rest.  I guess because it sets everything up for the finale.

I'm curious if others will re-read the book before seeing 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows' in theatres.

1 comment:

  1. K is looking forward to the movie release but I don't know that she will re-read the book, she has passed them onto M now. Oh and we will wait until the craziness dies down before going to the movies.

    ReplyDelete