Pages

Saturday, November 1, 2014

National Novel Writing Month 2014

It’s November first and for many of us, myself included, that means the beginning of the annual event that is known as National Novel Writing Month – also widely known as NaNoWriMo. This is the sixth time I’ve participated and I’m off to a great start. I began writing at midnight and didn’t go to bed until I surpassed today’s goal of 1, 667 words. That’s the number of words you want to write every day in November in order to reach the 50,000 word goal by the 30th.

Last year I wrote over 100,000 words. That wasn’t my goal in the beginning, though. I reached my 50k on I think the 12th last year and was challenged to go for 100k. I did it but suffered for it afterward with a nasty cold that lasted for a couple of months. So this year, I’m planning to hit 100k again but I’m starting with that goal. That means I need 3,333 words per day until the 30th. It’s doable. I know it is but I admit to still feeling a little nervous about it. Maybe that’s a good thing, though. In fact, I’m sure it’s a good thing because my competitive soul thrives on a challenge and nerves often add to that for me. It sounds weird but it’s true.

How about you? Are you doing NaNoWriMo? It’s not too late to sign up and start if you wish to give it a go. It’s an amazing experience! If you are doing it are you challenging yourself in any extra way? What are you writing? I’ll tell you about my novel in another post! Whatever you’re doing this November, I hope you are happy and well.

No comments:

Post a Comment