Pages

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Reading with kids

They say that if you want your children to be readers then read to them when they're young. Well, I have read to my kids since I was pregnant with them and they are definitely readers. They are also independent readers now and have been for some time. So, when they asked me in December to start reading to them again each night at bedtime - I was extremely thrilled! We had purchased our oldest child a signed copy of Chris Colfer's The Wishing Spell. It is the first in his Land of Stories series. We will finish the book tomorrow night and I must say it has been a delightful book to read. It is a well-imagined book about an alternate universe set in a land of fairytales. To me it was a bit redundant in places but still, as a said, a delightful book. I am definitely looking forward to reading more of the series with my kids.

The next book I'm going to read to them is Star Wars: Before the Awakening by Greg Rucka. I admit that this book is as much for me as it is my kids. They chose it but I think I'm as excited to get to it as they are. This book gives some history about the new characters - Rey, Poe and Finn - that are introduced in The Force Awakens. We were (surprisingly) able to see the movie the night it opened (December 18, 2015) and we've all (including my husband) been anxious to know more about these new characters. So, the reading of this book will hopefully help all of us to understand and know these characters better.

No comments:

Post a Comment