Pages

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

National Novel Writing Month

National Novel Writing Month or NaNoWriMo as it is commonly known is fast approaching. It runs from November 1st through November 30th. The goal during the month is to write a 50,000 word first draft of a novel. It is so much fun and something I look forward to all year long! I know, I know, it sounds kind of crazy but honestly it is so liberating! There is something about knowing there is a word goal and a finite amount of time to get there that helps to turn off the inner critic and just write.

Write. Sit down and just write.

If you are an author (published or still working toward being published) then this is what it is all about - writing. The main goal of NaNoWriMo is to get people, young and old, writing. Turn off your inner critic, that annoying naysayer in your head, tune out the distractions and pound out your 1,667 words per day. Then, at the end of November you will have a first draft to a novel. Of course it may very well end up being longer than 50,000 words and that is perfectly acceptable. The point is to challenge yourself to write that first draft of your book.

I've been participating in NaNoWriMo since 2009 and it is amazing. The first couple of years I didn't love what I wrote but was happy with my accomplishment. Since then I have become a progressively better writer and I am happy about that. My book from last November is currently in its third revision and has been requested by four publishing houses. So yes, the process takes time but it is so very worth it in the end. Have you ever considered trying NaNoWriMo? Maybe this is your year to do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment