Pages

Monday, October 26, 2015

Musing Mondays: Horror (or lack thereof) books and movies

Musing Mondays is a weekly meme put on at A Daily Rhythm that asks you to choose one of the following prompts to answer:
  • I’m currently reading…
  • Up next I think I’ll read…
  • I bought the following book(s) in the past week…
  • I’m super excited to tell you about (book/author/bookish-news)…
  • I’m really upset by (book/author/bookish-news)…
  • I can’t wait to get a copy of…
  • I wish I could read ___, but…
  • I blogged about ____ this past week…
THIS WEEK’S RANDOM QUESTION: Do you read any horror, or something scary, in honor of Halloween? Why, or why not?

I don't read horror books. They get in my head and stay there. I will have nightmares about horror books and movies long after I have read the book or watched the movie. However, I don't mind suspense or even ghost stories that are more along the lines of mysteries than horror. I do read those sorts of books and watch that kind of movie around Halloween.

The book my kids and I look forward to most at Halloween is called Room on the Broom by Julia Donaldson. Here is a description of the book from Good Reads:

The witch and her cat are happily flying through the sky on a broomstick when the wind picks up and blows away the witch's hat, then her bow, and then her wand!  Luckily, three helpful animals find the missing items, and all they want in return is a ride on the broom.  But is there room on the broom for so many friends?  And when disaster strikes, will they be able to save the witch from a hungry dragon?

My kids are what is called 'tweens now but they still love this book. They pull it out every year at Halloween and ask me to read it. They still love the voices I give all of the characters. They have even begun to read it and give their own voices to the characters. It is wonderful! I can definitely see them reading this book to their future children.

The Halloween movie we like best is Hocus Pocus. As a matter of fact, we will be watching it together on Friday evening. Do you have Halloween favorites in your family?

No comments:

Post a Comment