Pages

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Second Campaigner Challenge - Conceivably Broken Imago

Conceivably Broken Imago

    There was burgundy blood rapidly pooling around the still female body prone upon the floor. Cadence knew that there were people screaming and rushing forward to help but she couldn’t actually hear any of it. She was immobilized by shock over the fact that her mother had just stabbed her life long friend - repeatedly. And quite possibly to death. There was a suffocating miasma as Cadence finally tore her disbelieving gaze from the victim to oscitate at her own flesh and blood. She gave a hysterical, frightened and wholly inappropriate laugh over the thought of flesh and blood considering that’s what was all over the floor.
    Cadence looked into the green eyes that she knew were the mirror image of her own and asked, “Why Mama?”
    “Oh dear, I’ve listened to her self absorbed prattle for two decades. I decided that I simply would not tolerate one more minute.”
    Sinking to her knees, the daughter moaned in agony over the fact that her beloved mother had committed a crime over bottled up annoyance.
    In a seemingly blasé moment of synchronicity - the television screen faded to black and the one hour, weekly drama went on a four month lacuna.



As you've probably figured out - the above is my second challenge for Rachael Harrie's wonderful Platform Building Campaign.  I just have to take a moment and admit something: OH MY GOD, THAT WAS HARD! Now that I have that out of my system I'll add that it was also fun.  And educational.  I had to look up the meanings for lacuna and imago.  Now that I'm done, I'm going to link this post up, sleep and start reading others' entries tomorrow.  Have a great weekend everyone!

Adding: This was another 200 word or less challenge and I'm proud to say that the above is exactly 200 words.

45 comments:

  1. Very cool, Sheery!
    I'm number 3 on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl! This one is hard and you pulled it off quite nicely:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. excellent! isnt that just like a soap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, that had me glued from start to finish. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This made me laugh at the end because it reminded me of Desperate Housewives. Nice job! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the little twist at the end too! :D A great way to take what seemed like an overdramatic concept and really bring it into reality with it being a television show!

    Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Remind me to never annoy her mother! *grins* Great work, Sheery! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hah I loved the ending. What a painful four months!
    Hitting the 200 words exactly is awesome :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great ending! Too close to truth not to be funny...soap opera...ha! ~ Nadja

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah! Was it a Soap all along! Ah!

    Like the "it was all a dream," only so much better! Great job, Sheery! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This reads really well. Well done you, a tricky challenge, I have to admit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bravo! I was hooked from start to finish and loved the twist at the end. Excellent job with a tough challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, so tense and an awesome use of the required words. Nice job. I'm #34 on the list:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's funny. What a great soap opera. Mine is #29

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the story. This is a fun entry. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Soap operas are like that! LOL


    (I am number 38 on the linky list)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ha! Nice twist at the end. I definitely wasn't expecting it. Great imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great Job! Glad I finally read it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That twist was certainly unexpected. :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome twist that was very cleverly written. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loved the twist. You did a wonderful job with those words.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow that was a unique way to approach the challenge. I'm sure we all had to look up most of those words. My entry is #56.


    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great tension in this piece Sherry. I was totally caught up in it. Loved the twist at the end. Ending with a grin, what a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great incorporation! I did something similar but you got that twist in there. Love it! Check out #24. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I didn't get that it was a soap opera until I read other people's comments! Dark stuff, with the senile mother!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good story! Love the ending, Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Good job on using the words in the challenge! Good luck in the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is well written, and I was surprised by the twist.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow that was so intense! I love it! I really like how the speaker in the passage is so passive about what's happened (because she's in shock) and it makes the entire thing creepier! Wonderful job! I'm a new follower too!
    (I'm entry #113)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Brilliant twist at the end, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yes the twist clinched it!

    ReplyDelete
  32. You certainly painted a perfectly gruesome scene... and that twist! Well done. I love the name Cadence, too. (I have a male character with that name.) ;) Good luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great twist! Those four months are nasty. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a unique twist on the challenge! Took me completely by surprise. I'm number 128

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great entry! I wonder what's going to happen to the mother now...

    ReplyDelete
  36. Well done ! A smart move on your part in the way you approached the challenge ! Unique ...
    My entry is no.#185

    ReplyDelete
  37. Good job, good usage of required words, good story.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love the TV twist at the end. I'm at #183.

    ReplyDelete