Pages

Monday, September 26, 2011

Musing Monday's - Set Aside

Musing Monday's is hosted by Miz B at Should Be Reading. This week’s musing:

What does it take for you to give up on a book you’re reading?



The most important thing for me in a book of fiction is the characters.  I must feel something positive for the characters in the book or I'm most likely going to lose my desire to read it.  This applies to series, as well.  Even if I'm into a story line in a series - if I don't like the main characters, I won't finish the series.  Characters and their development is my first and foremost requirement in a good book.  If that is lacking, I'm usually done.  The second important element for me in a good book is the desire to know more.  If I don't care about what is going to happen next - something is wrong and again, I lose interest.  A final thing that makes me lose interest in the book is if it's too preachy.  I get irritated when I read a book and feel that the author is trying to sell me on their personal agenda.  I like to make up my own mind about topics, thanks.

I read more fiction than nonfiction.  However, I have to be interested in the topic of the nonfiction book or I simply will not complete it.

I've said this before, but for me, life is too short to waste my precious reading time on a book that I don't like.

2 comments:

  1. You've got that right...life is too short and there are lots of books to choose!

    Here's MY MUSING MONDAYS POST and
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really, really hate giving up on a book and I've only done it handful of times, usually when things are really busy and it comes home to me how precious time is, more precious actually than the money I wasted on that book.
    Not being able to connect with the characters would be my number 1 reason, I guess. Any plot line, any weaknesses in the writng and story, etc, is irrelevant if I'm invested in even just one person in the book

    ReplyDelete