Pages

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Book Review - The Expats by Chris Pavone

The Expats by Chris Pavone is a debut work of fiction.  I heard and read so much about this book before it was even released and the plot captured my curiosity immediately.  A lot of people were saying they were number 56, 27 and other random, high-numbered places on the library waiting list.  So, imagine my surprise when I put it on hold at my library and immediately got the book.

I have to admit that I am often let down by books that receive so much hype.  I liked The Expats, though.  However, I am not entirely sure how to review this book.  You see, this story of an expatriate family living in Luxembourg is so full of twists and turns that I really don't want to give anything away.  The book is written, and the story told, in a clever way that definitely had me turning pages.  Kate and Dexter Moore (this name initially bugged me as it's too close to Dexter Morgan but that's just minor on my part) are both deeply involved in their careers and yet neither spose knows the truth about the others work. 

It's Dexter's work that takes the family to Luxembourg and initiates Kate giving up hers.  While it's true that the wives in Luxembourg don't seem to work - it was no easy feat for Kate to walk away from a career that consumed her to the exclusion of truth in her marriage.  The thing is, this is true for Dexter, too.  While this didn't concern Kate at home in Washington D.C. she becomes very suspicious and almost distrustful in Luxembourg.  The reader is left to wonder if her suspicions are founded or the result of some boredom on Kate's part with their new life.  She is certainly not content being a housewife and stay-at-home Mom.

As the story continues, you realize that Kate and Dexter are neck deep in a giant mess.  Some of it is legal, some is not; some of it is of their doing and some is them being manipulated like puppets.  This really is a good story.  I did feel like the ending was a bit rushed.  Which surprised me because the book is lush in detail including much of the European landscape that had me feeling as if I were actually there.  Then it just ended and I was left wondering and wanting a little more.  Overall though, it's a book worth reading.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you liked it, as I did. I thought the ending dragged and could have come sooner. Enjoyed your perspective tho.

    ReplyDelete