Pages

Friday, December 17, 2010

A Christmas Carol - Stave Four: The Last of the Spirits

                                    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.  I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future.  The Spirits of all three shall strive within me.  I will not shut out the lessons that they teach."

I know this is supposed to be a spooky part in the book (and I have to admit that I am a bit creeped out at this section of the movie) but there was so much of this part that I found a bit funny.  I imagine it is the way that Dickens wrote it - or perhaps just my strange sense of humor - but I founf Scrooge's seeming unintelligence humorous.  Of course, who knows how one would act if faced with their own death as Scrooge was in this Stave.  Plus, he was forced to see the utter disregard he inspired in people. 

I really enjoyed the fact that Scrooge finally has his spiritual turnaround in this part, though.  I love that he realizes he needs to be a better person all the way around.  I love that he finally realizes that his actions definitely have consequences upon himself and others.  The fact that he is so touched by The Cratchits  and especially Tiny Tim - is always moving to me.

The only thing I wish this Stave would have shown would be Scrooge's nephews reaction to his uncle's death.  It would have been quite interesting to know if his nephew would have felt any sadness at the loss of his uncle. 

I look forward to finishing the book - and then seeing the movie again.  How is everyone else enjoying the book?

No comments:

Post a Comment