Pages

Friday, September 21, 2012

The Last Day of Summer

I can not wrap my mind around where 2012 has gone.  Yes, I know there are still a little over three months in the year but I swear it has flown right on by so far.  With this being the official last day of Summer, my mind, heart and internal clock are yearning for Autumn.  It is still in the high 80's and low 90's here in Southern California.  And honestly, it usually stays this way until the end of October.  Whining about the weather isn't my point with this post, though.  My point is, I love, love, love Autumn! Although we don't have the glorious leaf-changing colors like New England does, I still adore the orange, red and gold hues that still begin to pop up all over the place.  Pumpkins, apples, squash in all the produce aections.  I'm not much of a cook but my husband is and it makes me happy to know he'll be using the previous ingredients.  Plus, we continue a tradition my Grandma started when I was little; apple and pumpkin picking! My husband and I take our kids apple picking and we all love it so much!

Another thing that I love about Autumn are the books! I adore that there are holiday themed books beginning to show in bookstore displays.  Yes, I still go to the bookstore; often, in fact.  I adore and use my Nook regularly but there is nothing like the real pages of a book to me.  Anyway, I've realized in the past few years that I read by season.  I like lighter, less mentally demanding themes during the summer, mysteries and something a little spookier from the end of September through to Halloween and Christmas themes during December.  I don't know if this is a result of really good marketing but it is absolutely true for me.  For example, I am waiting for Stephen King's The Shining to come in at the library.  I'vbe never read the book and have decided that this is the year I'm going to rectify that.

How about you? Do you love Autumn? Do your reading preferences flow with the calendar?

No comments:

Post a Comment