Pages

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Giving Up on a Book

I am not one to give up easily on a book. Even if I'm a little bored in certain parts of a book - I'll usually skim until it picks up for me again. However, I am pretty certain that I am about to give up on my current book The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. The thing is, until tonight, I was enjoying the book. Yes, it has taken me a while to read some of it but that's mostly because I've been busy. I'm halfway through it and it took a wild turn that actually makes me really sick.

I don't want to spoil the book for anyone still wanting to read it but I just can not stomach what I read tonight. It was not entertaining or educational (the two biggest reasons I read); it was just disgusting. I feel like I'm ranting. Actually, I guess I am but I'm really annoyed. I'm bummed because I picked this for my book club and I feel badly. Plus, I'm disturbed that this book, with this atrocious content, is so popular. As I said though, I'm only halfway through the book. So, in case I'm speaking out of turn and the rest of the book is redeemable I'd like to know that. Plus, I don't mean to offend anyone.

For now though, I'm angry and disgusted and I'm putting this book aside. Whether I pick it up and finish it someday remains to be seen.

4 comments:

  1. wow.. That is crazy. I am now intrigued to know what happened to make you put it down

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting to read this. This book and the others by the same author have been on my list to read because I see them talked about 'everywhere'. So is it good marketing or good books? hmmmm?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The thing is - the mystery in the book is actually very good. There is just something that happens in the book that I feel is very unnecessary to get the authors point across. However, now that I've had a few days to calm down about it (and read something else) I'm thinking I'll pick this back up and see how they mystery unfolds. If there is more disgusting stuff hopefully I can just skim over it.

    Also, even though the mystery is good - I definitely think the PR is excellent. Especially the fact that they changed the name of this book when it was translated into English. I know I certainly never would have picked it up had it's Swedish title been properly translated into English.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know the part you're talking about, and it was REALLY disturbing to read. I really liked the book, minus that part.

    ReplyDelete