Pages

Saturday, December 10, 2016

Goal setting

I went to a writing workshop this morning. During the session we heard about goal setting and your core story. Both sections were really good but I want to focus on the goal setting. The speaker shared tips for making smart goals. Make them attainable and make them something you can control! For example, saying I will have a book published next year isn't so smart. I'm not in control of the agents, editors or publishing world in general. However, I can (and AM) say, "By March 31, 2017 I will submit two novels." I'm actually almost ready to submit one and will most likely do so by the end of December.

Another thing that was stressed during the workshop is to WRITE DOWN your goals! We are 42% more likely to achieve our goals if we have written them down! Isn't that amazing? I thought about this fact and realized that it is the absolute truth for me! Another truth - in general but also specifically for me - is to set a deadline!

I want to share three goals I have with a deadline of March 31, 2017:

1. As I said above, I will submit two novels to publishing companies.

2. I will attend the California Dreamin' Writers Conference that is taking place at the end of March.

3. I will write the first draft of a new book.

These are attainable goals that move me forward on my career path. How about you? Do you set goals and if so do you find that you are likely to achieve them?

No comments:

Post a Comment