Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

Book Review - An Affair Without End by Candace Camp

An Affair Without End by Candace Camp is the first book I've read this year for the 2012 Historical Romance Challenge.  While I can say that I did like this book - it's not a stand-out book for me.  In fact, when I sat down to write this review - my mind went blank and I had to look up the synopsis on Good Reads.

Lady Vivian Carlyle has known Oliver, the Earl of Stewkesbury for nearly all of her life.  While they have a certain reputation for bickering endlessly with one another - they do also seem to like one another's company.  While in London for the Season and the coming-out of his newly discovered relatives - Vivian and Oliver are thrown into each other's company more than normal and they find that they are quite attracted to one another.

There are a series of jewel thefts occurring in London and Vivian takes it upon herself to start asking questions of her jeweler - much to Oliver's annoyance.  Feeling that he must 'protect' Vivian, he ensues to help her learn more about the thefts.

There were elements to this book that I liked but I also felt that the story had been told before.  Vivian and Oliver were likeable but mildly annoying at the same time.  I can't even remember how many times through the book one of them would mention or think about how unsuitable to marriage they were for one another.  While Ms. Camp tied up the mystery nicely and Vivian and Oliver received their happy ending - I was just relieved to be done with the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment