Pages

Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

I told myself that I would write some sort of review of each book I read in 2010. I realized that I have been remiss in writing one for The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein.

This book is told from the point of View of Enzo the dog. I wasn't sure how I would like this but it went over really well for me. Enzo is a puppy when Denny picks him from his litter and takes him home to Seattle. We see - through Enzo's eyes - as Denny falls in love with Eve, marries her and they have a daughter named Zoe together. We also see the trials, tribulations and successes of human life as a dog might see them.

Enzo is a dog who longs to be human. So, as we see his humans go through their ups and downs, we understand Enzo's longing for humanity. And his absolute love for auto racing. he is convinced that he will live another life as a human race car driver.

The Art of Racing in the Rain is a wonderful and touching book. I highly recommend reading it with a box of tissue nearby.

No comments:

Post a Comment