Pages

Monday, October 7, 2013

Writing Space

I will admit it - I was not the most ambitious writer this summer.  I had spurts of inspiration and writing time but nothing overly solid came of it.  I could say I was busy and that would be true but it's also an excuse because I'm always busy.  I have a husband and we have kids and jobs and extended family and friends.  Yeah, everyone, everywhere is busy.  And yet a lot of people still manage to pursue their creative dreams and goals.  Why was I slacking on that for myself?

I don't know the answer.  I don't mean for this to be an overly introspective post, either.  What I want to share is that I finally made the decision to take back my writing space both figuratively and literally.  In the middle of August I was on Twitter (a place I was hit and miss about before but now totally in love with) and discovered a seriously cool and amazing group @FriNightWrites.  We (yes I had to join in on this movement) are a group of writers from all over the U.S. and the U.K. who use the hours on Friday night to write together in thirty minute sprints.  It's actually a twelve hour period (11 a.m. to 11 p.m. PT). 

If you haven't done anything like this before you may be thinking something along the lines of, So what? I know this because that's sort of what I thought for about five seconds in the beginning.  I was wrong, oh so wrong, to think that way, though.  The people involved in this group (3,402 Followers at time of writing this post) are so nice and so inspiring and incredibly supportive of one another! It humbles me to be a small part of it.  This group has really helped me to focus on my writing again for which I am enormously thankful.  It has also given me a sense of community with other writers which I sorely needed.  The hashtag is #writeclub if you're interested in checking it out on Twitter.  It's so worth it.  In the six-and-a-half weeks I've been involved I've written nearly all of a manuscript and one short story.  That's really fast output for me.  Just check it out - I guarantee you'll love it!

As for literal writing space, I took over a corner at home.  No one is allowed to leave any of their stuff here! This entire corner is mine and I will guard it with a vengeance (especially during NaNoWriMo but that's a post for another day)!



2 comments:

  1. So glad you have your own writing space back!

    I am not in the U.S. or the U.K., but I like the idea of that group. It would probably take place on Saturday morning for me, which could work. But of course there is something special about writing at night, for me that is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trisha - Come write along with us! It really is amazing! I'm sure there are probably people from other parts of the world involved - they just keep stats for the U.S. and the U,K. Maybe that'll change, though.

    ReplyDelete