Pages

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Favorite Books of 2011

I've written a favorites post for the past couple of years and discovered that I really look forward to this post.  In fact, throughout this year, I pretty much knew the books that would end up on this list as I finished them.  My favorite books of 2011 are:

1. Divergent by Veronica Roth - I absolutely loved this book.  Ms. Roth builds an extremely interesting world and society in this book with compelling characters that seem real and make me remember what it was like trying to find and stay true to myself.  I was surprised by how much I liked this book but I really, really did.  I am so looking forward to reading the sequel in 2012.

2. The Rarest Blooms series by Madeleine Hunter - This entire series is just fabulous.  It is wonderfully written with funny, likeable and strong characters.  My favorite in the series is Dangerous in Diamonds but the series is just fabulous.

3. Night Road by Kristin Hannah - This book is a major tear jerker but I still found it to be quite the page turner.  I just had to know what was going to happen with the family in the book.  Read it but have a box of tissues nearby when you do.

4. New York to Dallas by J.D. Robb - I adore J.D. Rob  and her Eve Dallas series but she really out did herself with this book.  It answers many of the questions that have been hanging for some time during the series.  And the relationship between Eve and Roarke was as amazing as ever.

5. Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson - I learned of this book on someone else's best of 2010 list.  I read it earlier this year and it has stuck with me.  I love the characters, the English setting and the strength in Ms. Simonson's story telling.  It was a first rate book for me and I hope to read more by this author at some point in time.

Happy to Discover Authors:

Candace Camp
Victoria Alexander
Madeleine Hunter
Veronica Roth


Biggest Disappointment:

1. The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway - After hearing so much about this book - I finally read it this year.  Ugh! I wanted to pull my hair out by the end of it.  There was virtually no character growth and, in fact, I didn't even like any of the characters.  This book was really irritating to me.

How about you? What were your favorite books of the year? Were you seriously disappointed by any? Please, do share. 

No comments:

Post a Comment